Closed for restoration through Spring 2023
The Ballantine House, the last 19th-century mansion on Washington Street, was the home of John and Jeannette Ballantine of the Newark beer-brewing family. Architect George Edward Harney designed the 27-room, brick and sandstone house. The Ballantines and their four children moved into their new home in 1885.
Part of The Newark Museum of Art since 1937, the Ballantine House is a wing of the Museum complex. The first-floor rooms opened to the public in 1976. The building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. In 1994, the first- and second-floor period rooms were restored to reveal the house as it was lived in between 1885 and 1919. Thematic galleries highlight the Decorative Arts collection. Works from the Museum’s global art collections are installed throughout the house.
To support this historic house, please visit the Ballantine House Fund page here. Contributions are welcome.
What Is Happening at The Ballantine House?
Historic preservation is a priority for The Newark Museum of Art. This work is a major part of our focus to enhance visitor experiences. As such, the exterior of the 1885 Ballantine House will be undergoing restoration work from October 2021 to April 2022. The brick walls and slate roof need cleaning and minor repairs, and the stonework, windows, and ornamental and structural details need restoration. The tented, heated scaffolding allows this work to continue through the winter. When the scaffolding comes down in May 2022, the building will look as it did in 1885. Interior architectural restoration and new interpretive installations will continue through 2023.
Click below to embark on a 360° tour of the Ballantine House.
All images are from the collection of The Newark Museum of Art.