A Musical Mother’s Day
Treat a mom, mentor, or other special person to a musical day in the Museum. Enjoy jazz along with continental breakfast (additional cost) in the Engelhard Court, explore the new exhibition Musical Arts of Asia on a guided tour, learn about the art and history of Mother’s Day, and hear musical traditions from across the collection come to life through live gallery performances.
Unless otherwise note, all Second Sunday programs are included with general museum admission.
Special Features this Month:
* Film Screening: "Happy Birthday to a Beautiful Woman" by artist Mickalene Thomas (1-1:30 pm) - (Mature themes)
In this short film, world-renowned visual artist, Mickalene Thomas, profiles the life of her mother / artististic muse, Sandra Bush, a.k.a Mama Bush.
* Mother & Muse (1:30-2:30 pm) - (Mature themes)
Meet and celebrate the mothers and muses of local artists Adrienne Wheeler and Adebunmi Gbadebo. Discover the role each one played in the personal and professional development of their artistic daughters.
Moderated by Souleo, Manger of Public Programs
* MC Jin (3 pm)
Hip-hop tribute to mothers, featuring a live performance by the first Asian-American rapper to be signed by a major record label.
* GONG Music (3:15 pm)
Hear familiar Mother's Day songs with a surprising twist using traditional musical instruments from Asia, including the pipa and erhu. (3:15 pm)
Program will also include:
· NJPAC Wells Fargo Jazz for Teens Ensemble
· Continental breakfast selections (additional cost)
· “Newark Museum through the Eyes of Gallery Aferro Artists” -- featuring Kevin Durkin, a multidisciplinary artist, who creates work that centers around an abstract sense of nostalgia and memory.
· Demonstrations and workshops presented by artists and “makers” inspired by the Museum’s exhibitions (2 pm)
· Pop-Ups and Drop-Ins
· Maker Movement, teen-led gallery tours (12:30 pm)
Second Sundays is series for all ages, held each month from October through June. Programs are designed to showcase the Museum’s special exhibitions and permanent collections and enhance the gallery experience.
Upcoming dates (details coming soon):
June 11, October 8, November 12, December 10